Yesterday, I had the pleasure of shopping the pre-sale of the Just Between Friends – Mainline sale! I have gone consigning shopping a handful of times before but never on such a huge scale like Just Between Friends is. It was a little overwhelming at first. Thankfully, there were a bunch of seasoned veterans there and they were more than willing to share their tips with me!
10 Consignment Sale Shopping Tips
1. Make a list and set a budget. I was only shopping for E yesterday because he was in dire need of fall clothes. I knew how much I wanted to spend and only went over my budget by $10.
2. Know your sizes. Before heading out, trace your child’s foot to help with shoe shopping. Measure your kids’ pants from the waist to the hem with a string. Cut the string and bring with you to the sale. If the pants at the sale are shorter than the strong, don’t buy them!
3. Have a game plan. Before you head to the sale, check their website to see if they have a floor plan available. If you are going for popular item, you may want to know where it will be so you can head their first and snag it
4. Examine your purchases. Always check items for holes or stains. Look at the seams for fraying and be sure zippers and snaps work.
5. Bring a laundry basket with you to help carry items while you shop. Some shoppers tie a rope to the end of their basket so they can pull it along as they are looking through the racks. The Just Between Friends sale has a hold area for your convenience as well as large shopping bags.
6. Be prepared. Wear comfortable shoes so you can get to the good deals quickly. You may even want to pack a bottle of water and snack because you could be there a long time!
7. Clean your trunk out! You never know what you may find at the sale. You may find a large item at a good price. Or you may score a ton of deals and come home with a ton of clothes! You want to make sure you have a way to get it back!
8. Check prices online. You have smartphone, why not put it to good use? Look up the retail price on an item you may not be sure of to make sure it’s a good deal!
9. Volunteer and shop early. One of the advantages of volunteering at the sale is getting to shop early.
10. Know when to say no. I found it really hard to walk away from some of the toys. But then I thought “Do we really need this?” And the answer was “No, we don’t.” If it’s something you really don’t need, put it down and go get some more clothes!
So how did I end up doing? One word: amazing! E is all set for fall.
That’s 17 long-sleeve t-shirts, 10 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of shoes, 2 sets of pajamas, 2 toys, one travel booster seat, and 2 blankets.
Grand total out of pocket: $60!
What’s your consignment sale shopping tip?
Disclosure: I was given $25 to shop the Just Between Friends sale. All opinions are my own.