We’ve reached that time of year, we are done with winter and looking forward to spring. And, I will admit, that I’ve been bitten by the Spring Cleaning bug early. I figure if I do it now, I’ll more time to enjoy the nicer weather come Spring. Pretty smart right?
But I will be the first to admit that I am not the best when it comes to home organization and cleaning. So, I’m turning to the pros for a little help. These cleaning tips from the pros will help get the house in shape!
Cleaning Tips from the Pros
1. Do not make cleaning an all-day, every weekend type of event. Set aside a specific time each day for household tasks to be done. Create a schedule of tasks that can be accomplished during this time and get everyone to help. Let the family know that if everyone helps keep the house clean, there will be more time for fun activities as a family. Having a chart of what needs to be done and who is responsible to do it will let the family know what is expected of them and when.
2. Wear comfortable clothes you will not mind if they get dirty or stained. Obviously, you do not want to clean in your best clothing. It may help to have a specific pair of jeans, sweatpants and tops to go with it as your cleaning uniform.
3. Stay focused on the task at hand. When you get started, do not stop to check your email or watch television. Instead, ignore distractions until you are finished with what you want to accomplish.
4. Use a specific order when cleaning. Start at the top and move to the bottom. Start from one side and move to the other. Clean everything in the path that you have chosen and then out the door of the room.
5. Close the blinds when you clean them. Start from the top using an old dryer sheet and wipe in down. Not only will this clean the blinds, it will add an anti-static barrier that will keep the dust from settling back onto them.
6. Leave paper towels on the holder when it comes time to clean your windows and mirrors. You can use crumpled up newspaper but what do you do when you do not have newspaper available? If you drink coffee, you can use coffee filters. They will not streak and will not leave lint on either surface.
7. The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser has saved many professionals. This tool can reduce your cleaning time for various surfaces. Whether you are cleaning the sink, countertop, handprints off the walls or the bathtub, this eraser will do the trick. You can often find a coupon for these in the weekly newspaper. When you use a coupon, the cost is minimal for a tool that does so much.
8. Do you have musty odors in your bathroom? Rather than using a perfume-y air freshener, combine vinegar with water. It will deodorize the room when you spray it in the shower after you are finished.