Everyone knows that I have a slight addiction to a popular coffeehouse. But visiting multiple times a week can really take it’s toll on my wallet. So I am always looking for ways to save money at Starbucks.
One of those ways? Making my favorite drinks at home. This doesn’t mean that I’m still not hitting the drive thru. I’m just not doing it all the time.
One of my favorite drinks to recreate at home is a Mocha Latte. This is really easy to make and you only need 3 ingredients: strong hot coffee, hot chocolate mix, and milk.
This warming drink, a treat for coffee and chocolate lovers alike, combines the two under a layer of creamy foamed milk. Skim milk foams easily and makes a deceptively lean, yet rich topping. Enjoy it in the morning, as an afternoon break, and as a lean, luscious, liquid dessert.
Easy Mocha Latte
To start, add the hot chocolate mix to the strong, hot coffee.
Stir it up really well and mix it around so that it’s really well combined.
If you want to go all fancy, add whipped cream, dust with some hot chocolate, or top with crushed candy canes.
- 8 oz hot brewed strong coffee
- 2 tbsp hot chocolate mix
- ¼ cup whole milk
- Optional: whipped cream, additional hot chocolate mix for dusting, candy cane
- Stir together the coffee and hot chocolate mix in a large mug.
- Heat the milk on the stove to warm -- it should be around 100 degrees or just hot enough that you can only keep a finger in it comfortably for a couple of seconds. Remove from the stove and froth the milk using an aerator. Alternatively, whisk vigorously by hand until the milk foams, about 1 minute.
- Pour the frothed milk into the coffee. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and a dusting of hot chocolate mix.
- For a peppermint mocha, stir the coffee with a candy cane.
Enjoy your Easy Mocha Latte at home and save some money!