For 100 years, Hellmann’s has brought together the best ingredients – such as oil, vinegar and now cage-free eggs – to help bring out the best meals and moments to America’s tables. To celebrate its 100th birthday, Hellmann’s is teaming up with celebrity chef Mario Batali to showcase how decades of delicious meals start with real, quality ingredients.
I was asked to recreate one of chef Mario Batali’s recipes that he created for Hellmann’s 100th anniversary and put a little spin on it. I was immediately drawn to the Happy Birthday Chocolate Cake. Who doesn’t like chocolate cake? But how could I take it up a notch. I brainstormed with my friend Heather of Real: The Kitchen and Beyond and the Chocolate Cover Cherry Cupcakes were born!
I followed Hellmann’s Chocolate Cake recipe, mixing up a decadent cake batter. I really tried not to lick the bowl!
I then filled my cupcake tray 1/3 full so that I could leave room for the cherry filling!
I popped those bad boys in the oven and waited patiently for them to cook and cool down. I really wanted to glaze the cupcakes immediately but all good things come to those who wait. I knew it would be worth waiting to top the cupcakes with these fresh cherries!
See, I told you it was worth the wait!
Hellmann’s Happy Birthday Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
- 1 tablespoon butter for the pans
- 4 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bitter (natural) cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups Hellmann’s ® Real Mayonnaise
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Cherry Pie Filling
- Chocolate Glaze
- Cherries for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line cupcake pan with liners.
- Mix all dry ingredients; flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder and sugar. Then add Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise , eggs, water and vanilla and stir till just mixed through.
- Fill cupcake pan 1/3 of the way. Drop a teaspoon of the cherry pie filling. Cover cherry pie filling with cake batter.
- Place in oven and cook for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool before icing.
- Drizzle chocolate glaze on cupcakes and top with a fresh cherry!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 23 minute(s)
Visit Facebook to watch Mario share his modern twist on some of Hellmann’s classic recipes and enter for a chance to win a seat at the Blue Ribbon table in NYC for Hellmann’s 100th Birthday celebration. I’ll be there!
Disclosure: I was provided compensation for this post. All opinions are my own.