This leftover BBQ Chicken and Rice Casserole is quick and easy to make, perfect for a summer night!
We have reached the time during the summer where I just don’t want to cook. Ever. It’s too hot to stand over a stove. And I am terrified of the grill (yes, I am). And who wants to cook when they can spend a lazy afternoon at the pool. So I have been on a mission to find quick and easy meals that take little to no effort.
One way to do that? Use those leftovers!
We grill (ok, my husband grills) a lot during the summer and we always have plenty of leftovers. From steak to chicken, we make extra because everyone devours it. Unfortunately, those leftovers we do have, we seem to never to touch. And we hate to waste food. I have been trying to make a conscience effort to take those leftovers and turn them into another meal. A great way to stretch meals and your budget!
We love barbecue chicken and I like to make a lot of it when we have it. I usually throw it on top of a salad but I wanted to shake things up a bit. I wanted to take those leftovers and make a meal the whole family would love. I took the base of another one of our favorite dinners and use the leftover barbecue chicken.
And the best part? You can easily whip this casserole together and have it ready to pop in the oven. You could even throw it together the night before. Bake for 20 minutes and you’ll have a warm and cheesy dinner.
Leftover BBQ Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- 2 cups, shredded leftover BBQ chicken
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl or baking dish, stir together rice, 1 cup cheese, chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and barbecue sauce until combined. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cheese evenly on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is warmed through. Remove from the oven, and drizzle the top of the casserole with a little extra barbecue sauce, and top with your desired (optional) garnishes.
- Serve immediately.