I think this was absolutely everyone’s favorites. I love how Chef Brandy had each kid in the class be a part of making dessert. Ethan’s job? To whisk the eggs!
And he did a fantastic job! The kids took turns adding ingredients until we had a nice chocolate batter.
Chef Brandy let us in on a little tip. Using foil ramekins for the Molten Chocolate Cake will make it easier to get them out after they are cooked. I had never seen foil ramekins but I will be getting some to keep on hand.
Molten Chocolate Cake is the perfect dessert to make when you have company over. It’s a quick batter to whip up and then you just pop it into the oven for about 12 minutes. When they are done, you just flip them onto a plate and top with some whipped cream or ice cream.
Your dinner guests will think that you spent all day in the kitchen making this little cakes just for them!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature, or cooking spray for greasing ramekins
- 10 tablesppons (5 ounces) unsalted butter
- 5 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1½ cups confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Ice Cream or Whipped Cream
- Heat oven to 400०F.
- Use room temperature butter to generously coat six ramekins or spray with cooking spray, arrange on baking sheet.
- Bring about 2" of water to boil in a saucepan. Place butter in a double-boiler top, over hot, not boiling water. (Or, place a large bowl that will fit on top of a saucepan without touching the water.) Melt butter completely. Add chocolate stirring with a spatula to combine and melt chocolate. Remove from heat as soon as chocolate has melted.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs and egg yolks in large bowl.
- Whisk in sugar, then melted chocolate mixture, and flour.
- Pour batter into prepared ramekins, dividing equally. Place on sheet tray and into oven.
- Bake until sides are set but center remains soft and funny, about 11-12 minutes.
- Run a small knife around cakes to loosen. Immediately turn cakes out onto plates.
- If desired, serve with ice cream or whipped cream.