I have been trying to teach Ethan about giving to others since he was young. We have donated food to a local food drive, dropped off toys for a collection, and, this year, we are putting together a Christmas shoe box!
Operation Christmas Child is a non-profit organization that has inspired millions to pack Christmas shoe box gifts for children in developing countries around the world. This year, Operation Christmas Child expects to reach a milestone with more than 100 million children receiving shoe box gifts since 1993.
1. Shoe-Box. Use an empty shoe box (standard size, please) or a small plastic container. You can wrap the box (lid separately), but wrapping is not required. We didn’t have an empty shoe box so I picked up a plastic one!
2. Boy or Girl? Determine whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the child’s age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Print out the appropriate boy/girl label by downloading the artwork to the right. Mark the correct age category on the label, and tape the label to the top of your box. Ethan decided he wanted to pick out gifts for boy!
3. Fill with gifts! Fill the box with a variety of gifts that will bring delight to a child. Ethan picked out a variety of things: cars, crayons, Slinky, etc. We had a ton of hygiene products laying around so I threw them in as well!
4. Include a $7 donation. Please donate $7 or more for each shoe box you prepare to help cover shipping and other project costs. You can give online by using our “Follow Your Box Donation” option, or you can write a check to Samaritan’s Purse (note “OCC” on memo line) and place it in an envelope on top of the gift items inside your box. If you or your family are preparing more than one shoe box, please make one combined donation.
5. Drop off. Place a rubber band around each closed shoe box and drop it off at the collection center nearest you during our collection week, November 12-19, 2012.
For locations and hours of collection visit our Drop-Off Locations page where you can find the nearest place to take your shoe box by entering your ZIP Code or you can call 1-800-353-5949.
You can also send your shoe box gift to:
Operation Christmas Child
801 Bamboo Road
Boone, NC 28607
This holiday season build a box with your family to teach kindness, compassion, and generosity. Operation Christmas Child and influencer marketing platform BlogFrog have teamed up with 200 bloggers like me to spread the word about this great cause. BlogFrog will match the first 200 boxes that are built. Pledge your commitment below to build a box today on Facebook or Twitter!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Operation Christmas Child. The opinions and text are all mine.