The cold winter weather is causing dry, flaky skin in these parts. This put me on the hunt for some winter skin care tips! The cold, winter air dries up your skin causing it to be flaky and itchy. Something I am majorly experiencing right now! And no one like dry flaky skin! I have to do something about this dry skin STAT!
When looking around for how to combat dry winter skin, I kept finding the same winter skin care tips over and over again. The best part? Not only will the tips below help you combat dry winter skin, they are also great anti aging solutions!
5 Winter Skin Care Tips
1. Moisturize! No brainer, right? When looking for a moisturizer to help combat dry, flaky skin look for an oil based lotion instead of water based. An oil based lotion will help lock in the moisture. During the winter months, I also apply baby oil prior to leaving the shower. Again, the baby oil will help lock in the moisture from your shower. I also look for a shaving cream that has baby oil in it. This helps my legs stay stay smooth and get rid of all that dry flaky skin!
2. Hydrate. Glowing radiant skin is as simple as drinking water. However, I am such a slacker when it comes to drinking water. It is something you should do all the time but I have never been a fan of water. Hydration will help give your glowing and radiant skin. That’s enough for me to start drinking more water!
3. Use sunscreen. Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you can skip the sunscreen. The sun’s rays can still penetrate your skin and cause damage no matter the season! Pick a sunscreen with at least an SPF of 15 and apply to your face and hands 30 minutes before leaving the house.
4. Easy up on Exfoliating. Keep the exfoliating to a minimum, about twice a week. Since exfoliating will help get rid of dry, flaky skin, it is still important to do. Make sure you use a lighter pressure when scrubbing as well. Pick a mild cleanser without alcohol to avoid drying out your skin even more. Alcohol can strip your skin of it’s moisture causing dry skin.
5. Ditch the hot showers. This is another hard one for me to break. I love a hot shower! The hotter the better! But hot water opens your pores and causes moisture loss which means dry skin! I need to work on taking lukewarm showers in the winter.
By following the simple winter skin care tips above, you can combat dry winter skin!