Uh-oh! You forgot to move your Elf on the Shelf last night and now your kids are asking you why he didn’t move? Here is a list of 10 reasons you can use for why your Elf on the Shelf didn’t move!
Even though I have an Elf on the Shelf calendar full of hiding places and tricks, there are still nights where I forget that the Elf needs to move. And in the morning, there are questions. Lots of them.
“Why didn’t the Elf move?”
Most times, it’s not until I am asked that question do I remember that I forgot about the Elf. This means I have to think quickly on my feet and come up with a reason for why he didn’t move.
Well, those days of thinking on my feet are gone. I have compiled a list of reasons why our Elf on the Shelf didn’t move.
10 Reasons Why Your Elf on the Shelf Didn’t Move
1. Bad Weather. If it’s snowing outside, tell them that the weather conditions were too bad for the Elf to fly back to the North Pole safely.
2. He’s tired. I like to use this one if the kids had a bad day the day before. He was too tired from watching the bad behavior to report back to Santa.
3. Your Elf is sick. Even Elves get sick! While the kids are at school, tuck your Elf into the tissue box so the kids see him resting and getting better when they get home.
4. He heard someone get out of bed. I am so using this one this year. We are having some trouble keeping Ben in his room at night so maybe if the Elf caught him out of bed, he’ll stay in his bed!
5. He’s stuck! Get some kitchen tongs and pry him out a little so that he can move that night.
6. He likes his spot! He must have a great vantage point to see the kids. He didn’t want to move from this great spot!
7. He didn’t want to report bad behavior. What can I say, the Elf has a heart. He didn’t want to give Santa a bad report, so he’s giving you the kids an extra day to be really good! And if he does have to report bad behavior, print out this Naughty Warning.
8. Are you sure he didn’t move? Have the kids really examine the Elf. I think he may have moved….a few centimeters!
9. He loved his spot. He loved his hiding spot so much, he came right back to it! He must be comfy.
10. We must have stayed up too late. Better go to bed early tonight so he’ll have enough time to report back to Santa and find a new hiding spot.
Have you ever come up with a creative reason for why your Elf didn’t move? Help other parents out by leaving your reason in the comments.
Looking for more Elf on the Shelf ideas like this one? Check out my Elf on the Shelf Pinterest Board! Don’t forget to pin the 10 Reasons Why Your Elf on the Shelf Didn’t Move so you are never caught off guard!
NEED MORE ELF ON THE SHELF HELP?
We got you covered! We have been sharing all of our Elf on the Shelf ideas and antics for the past few years. We have a ton of resources to get you through the month of December.
The Ultimate Elf on the Shelf Guide
And new for this year, I put together ALL of our Elf on the Shelf ideas in a handy ebook, The Ultimate Elf on the Shelf. It contains all of our Elf antics, Elf ideas, and Elf printables. All in one book! Buy today and be ready for a month of Elf on the Shelf.
As we create new printables this season, the ebook will be updated and you will receive an updated copy! You will also be the first to know about our Elf antics this season.
- 100 Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- 2016 Elf on the Shelf Printable Calendar
- Printable Naughty Warning
- Magical Elf Dust (for when little fingers “accidentally” touch the elf)
- and more!