The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days? Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple goals such as New Year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Some common goal setting tips:
1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.
2. Stay Focused. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.
3. Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.
4. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.
5. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.
1. Make my bed every day for one week. (0/7)
2. Clean the kitchen every night for 2 weeks. (0/14)
3. Pick up room/house before going to sleep for one month. (0/30)
4. Get rid of 101 things I don’t use anymore. (0/101)
5. Redo Kitchen.
6. Clean out closets and donate clothes to charity at least once a year. (0/3)
On my way to happier and healthier me!
7. Lose 10 lbs. (0/10)
8. Lose 10 more (0/10)
9. Lose 10 more (0/10)
10. Make goal weight. (0/30)
11. Maintain goal weight for the remaining 1001 days.
12. Get a new wardrobe when I reach my goal weight.
13. Keep food log for 21 days. (0/21)
14. Give up soda for 1 month. (0/30)
15. Drink 8 glasses of water daily for 3 weeks. (0/21)
16. Find the perfect jeans and have them tailored.
17. Buy flowers for myself on my birthday. (0/2)
18. Take a mental health day from work at least once every 6 months. (0/5)
19. Spend a whole day in bed when I am not sick.
20. Complete all of the Learning to Love You More Assignments. – In Progress (3/70)
21. Moisturize every morning and evening for a month. (0/60)
22. Work out 3 times a week for 1 month. (0/12)
23. Fit into my goal dress for Matt and Kim’s wedding (June of 2009).
24. Clean up my potty mouth for 1 month (and hopefully keep it that way!).
25. Get a family picture taken.
26. Figure out what I want to do when I grow up! (completed 1.19.09)
27. Be in bed by 10 pm every night for 2 weeks (0/14).
28. Get a pedicure three times a year (0/9)
29. Go to the dentist.
30. Paint my nails a fun dark color.
31. Stay away from the computer for the weekend once a month. (0/33)
32. Have a date night with Mike once a month
33. Donate $1 for every goal not completed.
34. Take all of my loose change to the bank.
35. Avoid Target for one week. (0/7)
36. Buy a scratch off lottery ticket.
37. Sell something on Etsy.
38. Take lunch to work everyday for two weeks. (0/10)
39. Keep track of all spending for 1 month. (0/33)
Cause You Gotta have Friends!
40. Have a Nestie g2g once a month. (3/33)
41. Meet all my online friends. – In Progress (4)
42. Have a girl’s night once a month. (0/33)
43. Go on vacation with friends. (completed 10/24/08)
44. Throw a party
I’ve Been Around the World
45. Complete a Google Earth “Places I’ve Been”.
46. Get a passport.
47. Ice Skate at Rockefeller Center.
48. Visit the Guggenheim.
49. Take a trip with my mom and sister.
50. Go to Italy.
51. Go to Longwood Gardens. (completed 12/13/08)
52. Visit NYC 5 times. (0/5)
53. Go to the beach.
54. Have a cupcake from Crumbs in NYC
55. Go on a family vacation for a week.
Ain’t Nothing but an Ethang, Baby!
56. Read a new book to Ethan once a week.- In Progress (15/143)
57. Teach Ethan Baby Sign Language.
58. Organize and print Ethan pictures.
59. Go through Ethan’s clothes once a month. (0/33)
60. Go to a musical.
61. Read 10 books. (0/10)
62. Post a review of every book I read.
63. Join the library.
64. Find an organization for which to volunteer regularly.
65. Attend the Nutcracker.
66. Learn to tie a men’s tie.
67. Turn the TV off during dinner daily for a month. (0/30)
68. Get recertified in CPR…
69. …and first AID.
70. Buy a Sewing Machine.
71. Learn how to use it.
72. Plant a garden and keep it alive.
73. Try 10 local restaurants. (0/10)
74. Buy a plant and keep it alive for 2 months. (0/2)
75. Buy a Christmas gift for a needy child.
76. Learn to knit a scarf.
77. Vote! (completed 11/4/08)
78. Complete a crossword puzzle entirely – no cheating.
In the Kitchen
79. Make bread.
80. Make pizza frita.
81. Go apple picking and make a pie from the apples I pick.
82. Bake once a month. – In Progress (3/33)
83. Go to a farmer’s market and get yummy food.
84. Bake 10 new types of cookies. (0/10)
85. Buy a great camera. (completed 10/17/08)
86. Participate in Project 365 (one photo a day). (0/365)
87. Photograph my outfits everyday for a month (0/30)
88. Take a digital photography class.
89. Identify 100 things that make me happy.
90. Complete a 26 things challenge, while on vacation. (0/26)
91. Send in a PostSecret.
92. Leave comments on the blogs that I visit every time I visit.
93. Blog every day for a month. (0/30)
You are Never Too Old
94. Color an entire coloring book.
95. Complete a puzzle.
96. Go Trick or Treating and hand out candy (completed 10/31/08)
97. Go on a picnic.
98. Complete this list. (completed 10/21/08)
99. Post this list on blog. (completed 10/21/08)
100. Photography every goal completed. (3/101)
101. Make a new 101 in 1001 list.