Being stuck inside with the kids on a snow day doesn’t have to be boring! Not when you have 42 ways to keep them busy!
You watched the weather forecast and now you got the dreaded phone call…SNOW DAY! As a kid, you loved having a snow day and, now that you are a parent, you know why your parents often dreaded those days. Snowy and bitterly cold winter days call for some creativity in keeping the kids busy. If you don’t have some things planned, you will go stir crazy, especially on days when it’s too cold to go outside.
When trying to come up with ways to keep my own kids busy on a snow day, I like to think back on the things that I did as a child. And while it’s ok for them to be bored every once a while, it’s nice to have some activities in your back pocket for when the boredom has gone on too long!
42 Ways to Keep Kids Busy on a Snow Day
- Bake cookies.
- Play balloon tennis!
- Go swimming…in the bath tub!
- Build a fort.
- Read a book.
- Watch a movie.
- Drink hot chocolate.
- Have an indoor picnic for lunch.
- Make homemade gak.
- Make a winter bird feeder.
- Complete a puzzle.
- Put some snow in a container and play in the snow…inside!
- Make your own snow.
- Play the floor is lava.
- Make snowflake slime.
- Take a nap!
- Create a snowstorm in a jar.
- Make sock puppets.
- Blow frozen bubbles.
- Create an indoor race track.
- See who can build the biggest tower.
- Turn on some music and have a dance party.
- Have a snowball fight indoors…will rolled up socks!
- Make paper airplanes.
- Make a house of cards.
- Build a maze out of dominoes.
- Play a video game.
- Play cards.
- Make snow ice cream.
- Play a board game.
- Plan an indoor treasure hunt.
- Take a bubble bath.
- Write a letter to their grandparents…and mail it!
- Cut out paper snowflakes.
- Make String Phones from a cup and string.
- Write a story.
- Bring a snowball into the freezer.
- Try an experiment.
- Have a spa day…at home!
- Make your own maple syrup candy on the snow!
And when all else fails, kick them outside to play in the snow! Check out some of our favorite outdoor snow activities!