I have been a work-at-home mom for 6 years now! I can’t even believe it’s been that long. In my mind, I just quit my outside of the home job a year ago. But it has truly been 6 years.
And in that time, I have lamented about how I have messy house guilt (I don’t think that will ever go away) and how working with the kids at home is a challenge. But I wouldn’t change it for anything in the world. Even though I am living with messy house guilt, I do have a few things under control when it comes from working from home. I’m no expert (even though I’ve been doing this for 6 years) but I have learned what works for me and what doesn’t.
There are people of all walks of life that work from home. Maybe you’re new to the work at home scene, or you’ve been doing it for a while. Here are 5 things you should know about working from home.
5 Things You Should Know about Working from Home
1. It Takes a While. A lot of people think they are going to just quit their job one day and start making a grand from home right away. It takes a while to build up revenue from your home. This goes for a sales business, writing, or even a phone job. Please don’t ever think that working from home is something that happens over night. I am here to tell you it doesn’t! It has taken me a while to get to the point where I am making a decent amount each month.
2. Enjoy Your Life. So many moms, women, and men have stopped living their lives to start working from home. I know I am guilty of this from time to time. The best advice out there is to live your life! Like me, you probably started working at home to have more flexibility, but a lot of Work-At-home folk end up becoming a slave to their own businesses.
3. Learn from Others. There is so much excitement in working from home. It’s best to learn the trade from others, but don’t pressure them to teach you. You can learn from others by reading blogs, watching what they do, and just networking. Don’t ever expect someone else to guide you every step of the way. If someone is willing to give up their time to teach you, you need to be very appreciative.
4. Always Market & Network. There are so many work at home professionals that land a great job and then they stop marketing and networking. You should know from reading and learning that no work at home job lasts forever. Enjoy it and be thankful for it while the job is there. Always be on the lookout for the next best thing! While marketing and talking to other professionals might take up some of your time, it will be a great investment for you in the future.
5. Always be Evolving. Evolving is an excellent word to describe the kind of person you should be while working at home. If you sit there doing the same techniques and walking the same walk, then you will be left behind. In order to make that higher dollar and find the next best thing, you have to do a little work on your end. Spruce up your resume, read up on topics in your field, take classes from others, and talk to professionals in your field.
Working from home is something that takes a lot of hard work, but it’s so worth the journey! You will feel several different emotions while being a work at home professional. Each emotion is worth it because in the end, you are your own boss and get to live your own life the way you want to!