Your favorite apple cider donut, reinvented into a moist spiced cake, coated in sweet cinnamon and sugar!
Last weekend, the family and I went to our local orchard for our annual apple picking day. Now, if I was being 100% honest, I would tell you that the main reason why we go apple picking is for the apple cider donuts. Don’t get me wrong, we pick a bunch of apples but we are really going for the donuts.
And the apple cider. Our local orchard has some of the best apple cider around. And, yes, when we run out, I will drive the 30 minutes to their little store to get us some more. This year, they even introduced a PApple blend (pear and apple) and dare I say it’s better than just the plain cider.
But I digress.
I have tried to recreate the apple cider donuts at home with some luck. They were ok. Just not the same as when they are warm and fresh at the stand. But then I saw this recipe for Apple Cider Donut Cake floating around and I knew I had to at least give it a try.
This recipe calls for oat flour which I had a hard time finding at my grocery store. If you run into that problem, there’s a really easy solution. Grab some rolled oats, throw them in your food processor, and grind those oats up until you have a nice powdery, flour.
If you are ready to make this Apple Cider Donut Cake for yourself, here is what else you will need:
KitchenAid KFC3511ER 3.5-Cup Food Chopper – Empire RedBob’s Red Mill, Organic Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats, 32 ozBaker’s Secret 1114421 Essentials Fluted Tube/Bundt PanWilton 2105-6813 Perfect Results Nonstick Cooling Grid, 16 by 10-Inch
More sweet recipes you might enjoy:
Apple Cider Donut Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Set oven to 350F and grease your bundt pan.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together in a another bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it. Set the pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- Stir the sugar and cinnamon together for the topping.
- Invert the cake onto a plate. Brush with the melted butter, and sprinkle generously all over with the sugar.
There are many ways you could make this Apple Cider Donut Cake!
- Dice up some of those apples you picked and fold into the batter
- Chop up some walnuts
If your family doesn’t devour this in one sitting (I dare you try!), cover loosely with aluminum foil or store under a cake dome.