This apple crumb cake is the perfect companion for your morning cup of coffee — made with sweet, crisp apples and a cinnamon crumble topping.
This post is sponsored by MAIA EverCrisp Apples. All opinions are my own.
One of my ingredients to bake with is hands down apples! From apple pies to apple crisp to homemade apple sauce, I can not get enough! During peak apple season, we head to the orchard and pick a ton of apples. Between my baking and the kids snacking on them after school, we go through a lot.
Once apple season is over, it can be difficult to find good apples. Or at least I thought it was hard. I was recently introduced to EverCrisp® apples. The apple is the result of nearly two decades work by the Midwest Apple Improvement Association (MAIA) to present an apple that would store well deep into apple season.
MAIA-1 apples – marketed as EverCrisp® under strict quality control regulations – became available in limited supply last year at growers’ farm stands primarily in the Midwest and Northeast. The good news? EverCrisp® apples are popping up on select grocers’ shelves NOW! Which means I can keep on baking with apples all year long.
While my kids are happy with munching on apples after school, I am all about finding ways to add apples to my dishes. I find that I am covered when it comes to desserts but what about for breakfast?
Crumb cakes are perfect for breakfast along with a hot cup of coffee and apples are a great addition! This apple crumb cake is jam packed with diced apples and has flavors of an apple pie in a crumb cake. Whatever you do, don’t skimp on the apples! The cake is dense enough to hold a lot.
Tips for making apple crumb cake:
- Add nuts like pecans or walnuts for even more of a crunch!
- Take your apple crumb cake to the next level by topping with a caramel drizzle or vanilla glaze.
- Let cake completely cool before cutting! I know it’s tempting to dive right in, but if you don’t wait, the cake will literally crumble!
- Cover with aluminum foil and store at room temperature for up to 2 days.
More recipes to sweeten your morning you might enjoy:
- Overnight Cinnamon Roll French Toast Bake
- Apple Cider Donut Cake
- Chocolate Chunk Muffins
- Blueberry Bread
- Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread
Apple Crumb Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, 1 stick
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 apples, peeled and cored, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- For the topping, combine brown sugar, butter, and flour in small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. For the cake, butter the bottom and sides of a 9x9 baking pan. Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl (flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt).
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high power speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir together the milk and vanilla in a small bowl. Alternately add the milk mixture and the flour mixture to the butter mixture in three additions, mixing well after each addition.
- Spread half the batter in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the diced apples and top with half of the topping. Spread the remaining batter over the topping. Top with another layer of diced apples and sprinkle the remaining topping on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before cutting.