Embarrassing as this is, until a few years ago, I didn’t eat many vegetables. Strike that. I didn’t eat a variety of vegetables. I was a corn, cucumber, carrot kind of a girl. But that all changed a few years ago.
When you have children, you can’t afford to be picky because you’ll end up raising picky eaters. Ask me how I know. Instead of saying, “Oh I don’t like that,” I started giving them a try. Why? Because little eyes were watching.
Since then, vegetables have become a pretty big deal to me. I experiment with different ways to cook them but I also have my stand-by: balsamic vinegar.
Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables
All you need is a little salad dressing, chicken, and veggies and you can have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. And when you have busy schedules like we do, that’s really important. I need to make sure that we sit down as a family for dinner, have dinner ready quickly, and that we eat our veggies!
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Italian salad dressing
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/4 lbs chicken breast tenderloins
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick carrots
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- In a mixing bowl whisk together salad dressing, balsamic vinegar, and honey, set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste, then place chicken evenly in skillet. Cook about 6 - 7 minutes, rotating once halfway through cooking, until chicken has cooked through (meanwhile, cut green beans and tomatoes). Add half the dressing mixture to skillet and rotate chicken to evenly coat. Transfer chicken to a large plate or a serving platter while leaving sauce in skillet.
- Add green beans and carrots to skillet, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer veggies to plate or platter with chicken.
- Add remaining dressing mixture to skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes to chicken and veggies and drizzle dressing mixture in pan over top (or return chicken and veggies to pan and toss to coat).