These Bug Repellent Mason Jar Luminaries will be the hit of your summer! Not only will they keep the bugs away but they smell great without any nasty chemicals!
One of my favorite things that I like to do during the summer is sit out on our deck. There’s nothing better than drinking your morning coffee on the deck. Or hanging out with friends after a BBQ.
But there is one thing that can turn it into a nightmare. Bugs!
Ok, maybe I am exaggerating about it being a nightmare but it’s not pleasant. And for some reason, the mosquitoes love me. Everyone else can come out unscathed and I end up with 50 bites.
And while I can light some citronella candles and call it a day, the smell of citronella can put me over the edge. Trigger a migraine. And put me out of commission.
So I had to come up with a deck bug repellent that was effective and family friendly. I knew there were herbs, plants, and essential oils that would naturally repel bugs and insects. We planted some on the deck but I needed something a little more.
I came up with these Mason Jar Luminaries — a deck bug repellent that combines some fresh scents that will keep the bugs away without the strong smell of citronella. And to add a little lighting to your deck some floating candles in mason jars!
Bug Repellent Mason Jar Luminaries
Watch how easy it is to make your very own Bug Repellent Mason Jar Luminaries in just a few short minutes!
- Start by slicing your lemon and limes. You can mix these in your mason jars or keep them separate! I have found that 2-3 slices in each mason jar is enough. I like to place a slice of both lemon and limes in my jars for a fresh citrus scent.
- Next, place two sprigs of your favorite herb in your mason jar. My favorite summer scent is basil so I tend to use that a lot in my mason jars. Rosemary is my second go-to herb.
- Fill each jar 3/4 of the way full with water. You have to make sure you leave room for your floating candles!
- Add the lemongrass essential oil. Try not to add more than about 10-15 drops! Remember when using essential oils, a little bit goes a long way!
- Swirl to mix into the water.
- Add more water until the jar is filled. Place an unscented floating candle on top. Or if you don’t have any on hand and you really want to make these NOW, a good ‘ole tea light will work as well!
It will only take you a few minutes to refresh your Bug Repellent Mason Jar Luminaries.
These are perfect for your next party, picnic, or deck night with friends! You can actually enjoy your deck or patio without the hassle of pesky insects!