Over the holidays, we visited my husband’s grandparents and it was there that his grandmother passed down a recipe to me. Let me back track.
Picture it. Me. Sitting at the dining room table with a plethora of Christmas treats in front of me. And I spy some Walnuts. But they aren’t just your ordinary walnuts. They are candied walnuts.
Hard to believe that I have never had one in my life until a few months ago. But all it took was one and I was hooked. I snacked on these candied walnuts throughout our stay. I begged her for the recipe. I wasn’t leaving without it!
What’s even harder to believe is that is has taken me over a month to make these bad boys myself. I was just waiting for the perfect time. I had a bunch of egg whites left after making a lemon semifreddo and I didn’t want to waste them. So while I waited for my semifreddo to get firm, I whipped up a batch of candied walnuts!
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 lb walnuts
- 1 stick of butter melted
- Beat egg white until stiff. Mix in brown sugar until combined.
- Toss in walnuts and mix until well covered.
- Melt butter on cookie sheet. Place nuts on cookie sheet and turn over to cover them with melted butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes turning often to evenly brown.
- Shake to separate. Let cool and enjoy!