A delicious chocolate chunk muffin for when you want a sweet treat in the morning.
The kids have off from school today which means I make a tasty morning treat for them. It’s kind of started being our thing. They know if they have off from school, I have some more time in the morning to make them something yummy. And this morning, I made their favorite: chocolate chunk muffins.
If I was being honest, I would tell you that my children would eat chocolate chunk muffins every chance they get: breakfast, dessert, after-school snack. Buying them pre-packaged can get pretty expensive and, besides, homemade ones are much better!
I used to buy muffin mix all the time until that one day when they asked and not a box of mix was to be found. I dusted off a cookbook that’s been sitting on the kitchen shelf for years and found an easy muffin recipe that I tweaked a bit to come up with their favorite Chocolate Chunk muffins!
Chocolate Chunk Muffins
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup of melted, cooled butter
- 2 cups all purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cups white granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt, skip this if you use salted butter
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Mix in chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Fold in the wet ingredients and melted butter into the dry ingredients. Do not over stir! Stir enough until the ingredients combine. Over stirring will result in tough muffins instead of light and fluffy!
- Fill muffin tins until about 3/4 full. I like to use an ice cream scoop to fill the tins.
- Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes.
Tips for making Chocolate Chunk Muffins:
- Sprinkle some raw sugar on top of batter before baking. This will give it a crunchy top just like the bakery.
- You can substitute chocolate chips for chunks if that is all you have on hand.
- Throw in a little mashed banana if you have some sitting around.
- If you have peanut butter lovers in the family, add some peanut butter chips!
- Bake in a mini muffin tin for bite sized muffins!