This microwave chocolate lava mug cake is rich, fudgy, and ready in under five minutes!
Have you ever just wanted a piece of cake but didn’t want to bake an entire cake? Yeah, me too. More often than I care to admit. That’s where a mug cake comes in. You can make individually sized portions of yummy, gooey cake.
Chocolate lava cake is one of my all-time favorite desserts. A rich fudgy cake filled with warm melted chocolate. You can’t go wrong with it. Top it with some vanilla ice cream and you are golden. But making chocolate lava cake is a process and I don’t always have time for that. Which is why I love making a single serving in a coffee mug.
Tips for making Chocolate Lava Mug Cake:
- Do not over cook! You want to make sure you have a nice gooey center. My sweet spot is 1 minute and 15 seconds to get the perfect lava cake. Start by microwaving for a minute and check your cake.
- Go crazy and add caramel, nuts, fruit preserves or peanut butter to the center!
- Dust the top with powdered sugar or vanilla ice cream.
More dessert recipes you might enjoy:
- Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- Apple Cider Donut Cake
- Strawberry Ice Cream Cheesecake
- Homemade Cookies & Cream Ice Cream
How to Make Chocolate Lava Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon water
- Whisk together with a fork, the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until well combined in mug.
- Add in the melted butter, milk, egg and vanilla. Whisk well to combine, making sure to mix in the flour mixture in the bottom.
- Place the semi-sweet chocolate chips in the center of the mug. Drizzle the tablespoon of water right on top of the batter.
- Cook in microwave for 1-2 minutes or until the cake rises to the top, the edges look set. The center will looks slighty wet and shiny but not raw, and sticks slightly to the finger when touched.
- Let it cool for about 5 minutes.