Cranberry Orange Scones are a perfect blend of sweet and tangy, creating a culinary symphony that will elevate your breakfast or afternoon tea to new heights.
There’s something inherently comforting about the aroma of freshly baked scones wafting through the air, and when those scones are infused with the delightful combination of tart cranberries and zesty oranges, you know you’re in for a treat.
Cranberries and oranges are a match made in flavor heaven. The tartness of cranberries complements the citrusy brightness of oranges, creating a harmonious balance that tantalizes the taste buds.
Both fruits bring their unique qualities to the table, making this combination a favorite in various culinary creations.
Tips for Making Cranberry Orange Scones
Creating the perfect batch of Cranberry Orange Scones requires attention to detail and a few tips to ensure a delightful outcome. Here are some valuable tips to guide you through the process.
Keep Ingredients Cold: Cold ingredients are key to achieving a light and flaky texture. Ensure your butter, buttermilk, and even the mixing bowl are cold. You can even chill the flour for a short time before using it.
Don’t Overmix the Dough: Overmixing can result in tough scones. Mix the ingredients until just combined, and when folding in the cranberries and orange zest, be gentle to avoid crushing the fruit.
Chop Cranberries: Chop the cranberries into smaller pieces to ensure even distribution throughout the dough. This also prevents large, tart bursts of flavor in a single bite.
Zest the Orange Carefully: Use a fine grater or a zester to get the orange zest. Be cautious not to include the bitter white pith, as it can affect the overall taste of the scones.
Handle the Dough with Care: When shaping the dough, handle it as little as possible. Overhandling can lead to dense scones. Pat the dough into a circle gently and use a sharp knife or pastry cutter for clean edges.
Cranberry Orange Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cold butter to the dry ingredients and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to incorporate the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gently fold in the chopped cranberries and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and shape it into a 1-inch thick circle.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the circle into 8 wedges and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the scones are golden brown.
- Allow the scones to cool on a wire rack before serving.
Cranberry Orange Scones are a delightful treat that brings together the best of both worlds – the bold, tart flavor of cranberries and the refreshing zest of oranges.
Whether enjoyed with a cup of tea, coffee, or simply on their own, these scones are bound to brighten your day with every bite. Roll up your sleeves, preheat that oven, and indulge in the joy of baking these delectable treats for yourself and your loved ones.