This Easy Italian Wedding Soup Recipe is a family staple. Made with escarole, mini meatballs, and acini de pepe.
There are a few recipes from my childhood that just bring me back to a time and a place. Italian Wedding Soup is one of them. Italian Wedding Soup is like one of those constants that you knew would always be there. Getting cold out? Soup was always there.
Italian Wedding Soup is a standard appetizer in any Italian household. It was just there. A pot on the stove simmering all day to warm the bones. Until it’s not there. When you are young, you don’t really think about how those recipes will go when the loved one who made them passes.
I have been thinking about my grandmother recently. About those recipes that weren’t necessarily handed down. There were no recipe cards to dig through to get the exact recipe. It was all trial and error.
While I was thinking about her the past few weeks, I thought it was time for me to try and recreate her Italian Wedding Soup recipe. I gathered all the ingredients and went to work in the kitchen.
How to Make Italian Wedding Soup
To start your Italian Wedding Soup, make your mini meatballs! You will need:
- ground pork and beef mix
- Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- grated Parmesan cheese
Mix your ground pork and beef mixture, egg, breadcrumbs and cheese. Using 1 1/2 teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a baking sheet and set aside.
Now you are ready to make your soup! You will need:
- low-sodium chicken broth (or homemade chicken stock)
- escarole, coarsely chopped
- sliced carrot
- acini di peppe
- shredded chicken breast
- grated Parmesan cheese
Side note: do you know how hard it was for me to find escarole? Was there an escarole shortage that I wasn’t aware of? It took me multiple trips to the grocery store to secure the essential ingredient in this soup.
Back to cooking. I like to start my soup early in the morning. I want it to sit and simmer for a good chunk of the day so the escarole is tender and the meatballs cook just right!
IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR A FEW MORE SOUP RECIPES, YOU HAVE TO TRY THESE FAMILY FAVORITES:
- Summer Sweet Corn Soup: You can enjoy this soup all year round!
- Turkey Chili Taco Soup: Our go-to soup on a cold winter day
- Chicken Noodle Soup from Scratch: There’s nothing better than homemade chicken noodle soup!
- Ham Bone Soup: Save that ham bone and make soup!
Easy Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
- 1 egg
- 1 lb ground pork and beef mix
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb escarole, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1/4-1/2 cup acini di peppe
- 1 chicken breast shredded
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
To make meatballs:
- Mix ground pork and beef mixture, egg, breadcrumbs and cheese. Using 1 1/2 teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the meatballs, carrots, shredded chicken, and escarole and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the escarole is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend. Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin stands of egg, about 1 minute.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 510 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 202mg Sodium: 595mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 2g Protein: 47g