Incredibly easy, this is recipe for melt-in-your-mouth meringue cookies is perfect for busy bakers.
DAY 10 OF THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS COOKIES: Forgotten Cookies
I am really into meringues these days! They are such a simple and easy cookie to make. I always find that I have egg whites on hand from other recipes and I hate to waste them. So I have been experimenting with different types of meringue cookies.
These Forgotten Cookies get their name because you simply forget them in the oven! There’s no right or wrong way to drop them on the trays so get the kids involved in making these cookies.
There are so many variations to these Forgotten Cookies! They really do work well with a variety of mix-ins.
- Use chopped pecans instead of chocolate chips.
- Add cocoa powder for a Chocolate Forgotten Cookie.
- Skip the vanilla and add mint extract for Mint Chocolate Chip Forgotten Cookies.
- Replace the chocolate chips with milk chocolate toffee bits for Toffee Chip Forgotten Cookies
You really can not go wrong! Play around with other flavor combinations and find your perfect Forgotten Cookie!
TO MAKE THESE Forgotten Cookies, you will need:
- stand mixer
- baking sheet
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz chocolate chips
HOW TO MAKE Forgotten Cookies
Preheat oven to 375 F.
In a stand mixer, beat egg whites and salt together until stiff until peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until still. Stir in vanilla extract and chocolate chips.
Drop in mounds by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. Place sheet in preheated oven. Turn off heat immediately and do no open oven for at least 4 hours.
Tips for making Forgotten Cookies
- It’s best to make these cookies on a cool, dry day. Humidity may cause them to become sticky.
- It’s important to make sure your bowl is completely clean! Meringues are finicky and the littlest thing will throw them off!
- When separating your egg whites from the yolk, you need to be really careful! You can not even have a drop of yolk in your whites. I like to separate them over another bowl and then add all my whites together to ensure there are NO yolks in my egg whites.
- Meringues need to be stored in an air-tight container without moisture or they will get sticky and melt.
- If your meringues get a little soft after you store them, you can crisp them back up in the oven at 225F for about 10 minutes. But you have to let them cool again in the oven just like you did when you baked them.
12 Days of Christmas Cookies:
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a stand mixer, beat egg whites and salt together until stiff until peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until still. Stir in vanilla extract and chocolate chips.
- Drop in mounds by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. Place sheet in preheated oven. Turn off heat immediately and do no open oven for at least 4 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 45Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 15mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gProtein 1g