Quick and easy creamy pesto you can whip up in 5 minutes or less!
This week, I did something outside of my cooking comfort zone. I pushed myself to make something from scratch. You know, instead of grabbing it pre-made at the the store. I have been trying to do this more.
I was making some Caprese Pasta Salad that called for Pesto sauce. And since I have a ton of basil growing in my garden, I figured why not actually use it and make the Pesto myself. I know it’s not hard, per say. But what can I say, I am sometimes, ok all the time, a lazy cook.
This classic basil pesto comes together easily with pine nuts, parmesan cheese, olive oil, basil, and lemon juice. Just throw it in your food processor and you are good to go! It really is very simple.
Homemade Basil Pesto
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves, slightly packed
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Add the basil leaves, parmesan cheese, minced galric, lemon zest, pine nuts, and lemon juice to a blender or food processor. Blend continuously until the ingredients start to breakdown. If you prefer a more coarse pesto, use the pulse setting. Stream in the olive oil and allow the ingredients to emulsify with the oil. You want to continue processing until the oil is combined with the basil and your other ingredients. Taste the pesto, add additional garlic or parmesan to preference.
Now that you know how simple it is to make homemade basil pesto, you need some recipes to use it! I put together some of my favorite ways use to homemade basil pesto!