I have been wanting to make a fancy schmancy recipe index for ages now. I just never thought I had the time to sit down and do it. Boy was I wrong. It’s actually pretty easy! In about five minutes, I had my new recipe index ready to go!
So how did I do it?
How to Make a Visual Recipe Index
1. Install Category Grid View Gallery on WordPress.
2. Decide which category you want to create an index for. You can go beyond recipes and index just about anything. To create your index, you are going to need the category number. To find that number, go to Posts >> Categories. Pull up the category you wish to index. Here is where you need to get tricky. For the life of me, I could not find my category ID number. Then I learned a little trick. When you hover the “Edit” link, your category link appears at the bottom of your screen. You can grab the number from there!
3. Now that you have your category ID, you are ready to generate the code for your index. From your WordPress dashboard, go to Settings >> Category Grid View Gallery. Here you will edit your settings. Make sure you save them!
4. Now go create a new page for your index.
5. Back in the Category Grid View Gallery settings, switch over to “Shortcode Generator.”
6. Once you have your settings the way you like them, hit “Generate Shortcode” and copy the code that appears in the blue box.
7. Head over to that new page you create, copy that code into the text tab, and publish your page.
That’s it! You are all set. Any future post marked in that category will appear on that page. You don’t have to do anything else to it!
Tips & Troubleshooting
- If you don’t have a featured image selected for a post or you don’t have an image show up in your post, you will need to go in and edit that post. After all, you don’t want blank spots on your list!
- If the incorrect thumbnail is showing up, you may need to run the Regenerate Thumbnail plugin.
- If all your posts are showing up instead of the category posts, make sure you pulled the correct category ID.
Did you create a recipe index following my how to? Make sure you leave the link in the comments so I can check it out!