Fall has definitely made it’s appearance this weekend. We have had cooler weather which means it’s time to start talking about kicking the heat on. I, personally, will hold out as long as I can, but it will be inevitable.
Which means the electric bills will be going up.
We have been making small changes around the house to help cut down on our power bill. From energy efficient light bulbs and appliances to making sure our windows and doors are sealed, there are so many ways you can make your home more efficient and save you money!
Tips for a Smart Home
1. Install a smart thermostat, such as the Nest Learning Thermostat. Smart thermostats offer you climate control, the convenience of programming away from home, and more.
2. Your living room typically has multiple active light sources available. Make sure your lighting is energy efficient by switching traditional bulbs to CFLs or LEDs.
3. Replace your old, inefficient appliances with new, efficient, Energy Star® appliances. Old appliances tend to run inefficiently.
4. Replace the showerhead in your bathroom(s) with low flow showerheads. These showerheads regulate the flow of water, assuring you a more efficient shower.
5. Make sure you have a strong Wi-fi signal from your smart thermostat and smart devices. Because you can remotely control your smart thermostat via the internet, periodically check the signal strength in the network settings on the thermostat’s control screen.
6. Installing light dimmers can save cut your electricity use 40% over time and make your lightbulbs last 20 times longer.
7. Use an automated pet food and water dispensing system so you don’t have to worry about feeding your pets if you happen to be away from home for longer than you had intended.
8. Planting trees in optimal spots on your property will provide shade during the warmer months making your system work less hard to cool your home down.
9. Even when your appliances are turned off, they are still using electricity. Use smart power strips to combat energy vampires.
10. Use a smart sprinkler to control your sprinkler system from your smartphone. They adjust setting based on weather and time of day so you don’t have to.
Direct Energy is committed to helping customers build a smarter home, and thus cut down on their energy usage – saving the customer time and making their lives easier. Their Comfort & Control Plans 24 or 36 month plans offer fixed rate price stability, and a Nest Learning Thermostat (a $249 value) at no cost to you.
Direct Energy is hosting a sweepstakes where 5 lucky winners will have the chance to win Nest Learning Thermostats! To enter the sweepstakes, visit the campaign landing page and simply fill out the entry form. How easy is that? The giveaway will take place from Wednesday, October 1st to Wednesday, October 22nd. Winners will be selected in Mid-November.
Disclosure: Thanks to Direct Energy for sponsoring today’s discussion. All opinions are my own.