This Mexican Street Corn Salad is a delicious medley of fresh ingredients that brings the essence of Mexican street food to your table. With its bold flavors and contrasting textures, this salad is a perfect addition to any summer gathering or barbecue.
The star of this salad is the humble corn on the cob, which is charred to perfection on a grill or stovetop. The smoky flavor from the grilling process adds a unique touch to the salad.
Once the corn is cooked, it is cut off the cob and mixed with a variety of vibrant ingredients. Traditional additions include tangy lime juice, crumbled cotija cheese, creamy mayonnaise, spicy chili powder, and aromatic cilantro. These ingredients come together to create a harmonious blend of flavors.
When you take a bite of Mexican Street Corn Salad, you experience an explosion of flavors. The sweetness of the corn contrasts with the tanginess of the lime juice, creating a harmonious balance.
The creamy mayonnaise adds a smooth texture, while the crumbled cotija cheese adds a salty and slightly nutty taste. The chili powder adds a spicy kick that elevates the overall flavor profile. Finally, the cilantro provides a refreshing herbal note that ties everything together.
Variations and Customizations
Mexican Street Corn Salad lends itself to endless variations and personalizations. Here are a few ideas to inspire your culinary creativity:
Vegan and Dairy-Free: Substitute the mayonnaise and sour cream with vegan alternatives like cashew cream or coconut yogurt. Use a plant-based cheese or skip it altogether.
Grilled Vegetables: Add a colorful twist by grilling additional vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, or red onions. Chop them into bite-sized pieces and incorporate them into the salad.
Avocado: Creamy avocado slices or chunks can be a delightful addition, adding richness and creaminess to the salad.
Hot and Spicy: If you enjoy fiery flavors, add chopped jalapenos or a dash of hot sauce to the dressing.
Fresh Fruits: For a unique twist, add diced mango or pineapple to bring a burst of sweetness and tropical flair.
This salad can be served as a side dish with grilled meats or as a standalone vegetarian option. It’s best enjoyed fresh, but you can refrigerate any leftovers for up to 2 days. Just give it a good stir before serving again.
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 4 ears of fresh corn
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for extra spice)
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Place the ears of corn on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides. This usually takes about 8-10 minutes. Alternatively, you can roast the corn in the oven at 425°F (220°C) for about 20 minutes.
- Once the corn is cooked and slightly cooled, use a sharp knife to remove the kernels from the cob. Transfer the corn kernels to a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, minced garlic, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper (if using), salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the corn kernels and toss gently until all the kernels are coated.
- Add the crumbled cotija cheese and chopped cilantro to the bowl and toss again to distribute the cheese and herbs throughout the salad.
- Taste the salad and adjust the seasonings as needed, adding more salt, pepper, or lime juice to suit your preference.
- Transfer the salad to a serving dish and garnish with additional crumbled cotija cheese, a sprinkle of chili powder, and a few lime wedges on the side.
- Serve the Mexican Street Corn Salad immediately and enjoy!
If you prefer a warm version of the salad, you can sauté the corn kernels in a skillet with a little oil over medium heat until heated through before adding the dressing and toppings.
Mexican Street Corn Salad is a celebration of bold flavors, contrasting textures, and the vibrant spirit of Mexican street food. With its charred corn, tangy dressing, and aromatic spices, it’s a dish that tantalizes the taste buds and transports you to the bustling streets of Mexico. Whether you stick to the traditional recipe or explore the myriad of variations, this salad is sure to be a hit at any gathering or as a satisfying meal on its own.