I’m just going to say it. I’ve never been a fan of mushrooms. If they were in a dish prepared for me, I’d just pick them out. I think it’s a texture thing. But since I’m a grown up now, I figured I need to start trying things that I would normally turn my nose up to. After all, if I want the boys to eat everything, I need to set a good example! And if mom is picking things out of her food, they are going to do the same thing.
Mushrooms are a great vegetable to incorporate in any meal! They are fat-free, low-calorie and nutrient-dense. They also contain natural antioxidants and essential vitamins and minerals. They are truly nature’s hidden treasure of healthy, delicious meals! This little super-food is a key ingredient to enhance flavor and extend portion sizes. Mushrooms are also a great way to grab an extra serving of vegetables at any meal!
This recipe is the perfect recipe to start with when trying to introduce mushrooms to the family. Since the mushrooms are just on the top of the chicken, they could easily pick them off if they wanted but it still gave the chicken a great flavor!
I knew Ethan would turn his nose up at the mushrooms just at the sight of them. But Ben? He devoured them! I couldn’t believe it!
Muenster Chicken & Mushrooms
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/3 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- 1 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Dip each piece of chicken in milk, then in the bread crumbs. Season both sides of each breast with salt and pepper as well.
- Coat a large skillet with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Lightly brown each side of the breasts.
- Arrange chicken in a lightly greased 9X13 inch pan and top each breast with a slice of muenster cheese. Then top with sliced mushrooms (distribute evenly among breasts) and pour chicken broth over and around chicken.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove foil and baste with any broth in the dish, then cook uncovered for another 15-20 minutes (making sure chicken is cooked through).
- Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.