A few weeks ago, I made a decision that I was going to make an effort to start making some “real food.” For one, I am tired of spending a ton of money on things that I can simply make at home cheaper! Also, I really need to get a better handle of what we are eating. If I make it myself, I know what’s in it!
I thought I would start off with something that the kids would love: Chewy Granola Bars. Ethan loves his “gargola” bars and has been eating them as a snack since he was Ben’s age. And Ben? Well, Ben eats anything so I knew he wouldn’t be a problem.
I found an easy, no bake recipe over on Back to the Cutting Board. She had me at the words no bake.
And so, this morning, I whipped up my first batch of No Bake Chewy Granola Bars. They were incredibly easy! If you can make Rice Krispie Treats, you can make these No Bake Chewy Granola Bars.
Recipe: No Bake, Chewy Granola Bars
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups plain granola
- 1 cup rice cereal (Rice Krispies, etc.)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Line two 9×5 loaf pans or one 11×7 inch baking pan (see tip #4 above if you want to use 9×13) with foil or parchment. Lightly butter or spray the foil. Set aside.
- Combine butter, honey and brown sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the butter is melted.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Add the granola and rice cereal into the saucepan and fold them into the sauce until evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pans and press firmly with a spatula to evenly fill. Sprinkle the chocolate chips onto the top of the granola and gently press them down with the spatula.
- Let sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes or until mostly cooled and set; lift out of the pan and cut into bars.