Soft and chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies are packed with chips, and taken beyond the standard chocolate chip cookie with the addition of nutty tasting oats.
DAY 7 OF THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS COOKIES: OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
I will admit it. These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are hands down my favorite cookies ever. Yes, even more than classic Chocolate Chip Cookies or my family’s traditional Italian Anise Cookies. You don’t even realize you are eating an oatmeal cookie. Even the kids love them! They are that good.
And if I was being 100% honest with you, I would tell you these aren’t even my recipe! My husband started making these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies a few years ago and they have quickly replaced the standard chocolate chip cookies we used to make.
We make them several times throughout the year. You can easily whip up a batch before the kids come home from school or if you need a quick treat the bake sale.
You would think that the oatmeal was the star of this recipe but it’s not. It’s the butter! Don’t you even think about substituting the butter out of this recipe. They will not taste the same if you do and they won’t have that beautiful golden color.
Butter is the key! To soften your butter, let it sit at room temperature for about an hour. You don’t want it melted but soft to the touch. Check out more of our tips for making these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Tips for making Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper for a faster cleanup!
- These cookies make wonderful ice cream sandwiches. Sandwich two cookies around a scoop of softened ice cream.
- Add nuts or raisins (or other dried fruit) for a different taste.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon regular table salt
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper, or lightly grease with non-stick vegetable oil spray.
- Beat together the butter and sugars until smooth.
- Beat in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and add to the butter mixture in the bowl.
- Mix until everything is thoroughly incorporated. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and mix briefly.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes, until they're a light golden brown, with slightly darker edges.
If you love these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, check out some more of our favorite cookie recipes and the rest of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies HERE!