This Pressure Cooker Irish Beef Stew recipe is so heartwarming and so delicious. Made in a pressure cooker, you will have this stew on the table in now time!
Thank you Idahoan® Mashed Potatoes for sponsoring this post. Idahoan® Mashed Potatoes are real potatoes, real easy, delivering homemade taste on demand.
We have come to the part of winter where I feel like it’s never going to end. I am always cold. There’s a threat for snow almost every day. And I am always craving comfort food.
And what is more comforting than beef stew? I typically make beef stew on a Sunday or a snow day. I love smelling the beef stew simmering all day long and can’t wait to dive into it at dinner time.
But there are days that I don’t have the time to let it cook all day.
For my birthday, my boys surprised me with a pressure cooker. At first, I was hesitant to use a pressure cooker. After using it for a few weeks, I’m not so sure why I have been so hesitant! We are using it a lot and it’s so nice to be able to have dinner ready in under 30 minutes with minimal effort.
And I couldn’t wait to try this Irish Beef Stew! This Pressure Cooker Irish Beef Stew has a rich Guinness sauce, melt-in-your-mouth meat, and tender carrots and potatoes. In short, the perfect beef stew!
What ingredients do you need to make Pressure Cooker Irish Beef Stew?
When cooking with the pressure cooker, I like to keep my recipes simple and easy. This Irish Beef Stew includes beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and, of course, Guinness.
How to Make Pressure Cooker Irish Beef Stew
Sear the meat on all sides in two batches; remove the beef from the Instant Pot. Sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes. Add the Guinness, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder to the Instant Pot. Scrape up any brown bits into the sauce. Add the meat back in, along with the remaining ingredients. Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. Either do a quick pressure release or let the pressure release naturally.
The Best Side Dish for Irish Beef Stew
To me, you can’t have Irish Beef Stew without a side of mashed potatoes. If you have been follower of mine, you know that I have love/hate relationship with mashed potatoes. So I am always looking for easy ways to make mashed potatoes.
Made from 100% real Idaho® potatoes and ready in just minutes, Idahoan® Mashed Potatoes offer the best taste and texture compared to any other mashed potato, earning the title of “America’s Favorite Mashed Potatoes.”
Since I am making my Irish Beef Stew in the pressure cooker, I need a quick mashed potato side dish. After all, I want to spend less time cooking and more time with my family around the dinner table.
Idahoan® Mashed Potatoes are available in a variety of delicious flavors, perfectly blended with real cheeses and authentic seasonings, including: Buttery Homestyle®, Butter and Herb, Bacon & Cheddar Chipotle, Roasted Garlic, Four Cheese, and Buttery Golden Selects.
Can you freeze this Pressure Cooker Irish Beef Stew?
Yes! This Irish Beef Stew freezes well and makes great leftovers too. But I doubt you’ll have any!
Pressure Cooker Irish Beef Stew
- 2 pounds beef stewing cubes
- Flour for dredging
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 pound potatoes, diced
- 2 large carrots chopped or sliced
- 3 sticks celery chopped
- 1 (11 fluid ounce) bottle Guinness beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sprinkle your beef with salt & pepper and dredge each piece in flour.
- Heat the oil on your pressure cooker on the "sauté" function. When hot, add the beef. Brown each batch for about 5 minutes total. (You may need to add more oil in the second batch.)
- Once all of the beef has browned, take it out of the pressure cooker. Add the onions in and sauté them for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Guinness, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder to the pressure cooker. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any brown bits into the sauce.
- Add the meat back in, along with the potatoes, celery, and carrots. Close the lid and make sure the valve is on "sealing". Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. Quick release.
- Season stew with extra salt & pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
- Serve with Idahoan® Mashed Potatoes.