St. Patrick’s day is a few weeks away and I wanted to do some crafts with E to celebrate. I knew he would making something at pre-school but I wanted something special for him and I to do. So I turned to one of his favorite snacks: popcorn. I did a little searching and came across a recipe for candied popcorn. He had fallen in love with caramel popcorn when we were at the beach this past summer so I knew this was right up his alley!
Ethan could not wait for me to take the popcorn out of the oven! It was a great mid-morning snack. We plan on making this again using other colors for another holiday.
- 4 quarts popped corn
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 1/2 Cup light corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- green food coloring
- In heavy saucepan on medium heat melt butter then add sugar, corn syrup, cream of tartar and salt. Increase temperature to medium high and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar.
- Once mixture boils, add in food coloring and stop stirring. Boil for 5 minutes (Do not stir). Mixture should be about 250-260 degrees.
- Remove from heat and carefully stir in vanilla and baking soda.
- Working quickly and while mixture is foamy, pour mixture over popped corn and gently stir to coat popcorn.
- Place popcorn into a large roaster or rimmed baking sheet (lined with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray) and bake at 200° F for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.