Thanks to Minute® Rice for sponsoring this Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Casserole that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Now that the kids are back to school, it’s time to get back into our fall schedule! I started by making a meal plan (I know) and doing our grocery shopping for the week. I couldn’t tell you the last time I did a proper shopping trip. For the past few weeks, I have been just grabbing things throughout the week or, unfortunately, ordering take out.
But not this week. I put together an entire meal plan and prepped as soon as I came home. I started with Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Casserole. Our weeks are pretty hectic and I need quick and easy meals so that I can get dinner on the table and get us out the door.
While this Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Casserole isn’t quick, per say, you can make it ahead of time and pop it in the oven to warm! It makes a lot so there will enough to eat throughout the week for lunches or even as leftovers for dinner another night.
You can have great-tasting, fluffy white rice in just 5 minutes with Minute® White Rice. It’s easy to prepare and is the foundation to any wholesome meal, like this Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Casserole. Make the rice ahead of time so you can throw this dinner together and get it on the table!
Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Casserole
- ¾ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 32 oz frozen mixed frozen peppers
- 1 cup drained canned pineapple tidbits or chunks, packed in juice or with no added sugar
- 3 cups cooked Minute Rice brown rice
- Pre-heat the oven to 350.
- Combine the soy sauce, the ½ cup water, the brown sugar, honey, ginger, olive oil and garlic in a small saucepan and cover. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove lid and cook for one minute.
- While sauce is coming to a boil, stir together the corn starch and 2 tablespoons of water in a separate dish until smooth to form a slurry. Once the sauce is boiling, add the slurry to the saucepan and stir in to combine. Cook for another minute until the sauce starts to thicken and then remove from heat.
- Lay the raw chicken breasts flat in a 9×13 casserole dish and pour about a cup of the sauce over top of the chicken. Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes until breasts are cooked through. Remove the dish from the oven and shred the chicken right in the dish using two forks.
- While the chicken is cooking, steam or cook your frozen vegetables according to package directions.
- When the chicken is shredded and the vegetables are cooked, add the vegetables, pineapple and rice to the casserole dish with the chicken. Add most of the remaining sauce, reserving a bit to drizzle over the top when finished. Stir everything together in the casserole dish until well combined. Return the dish to the oven and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, drizzle with the remaining sauce and serve.
Did you know September is National Rice Month? The USA Rice Federation started this holiday to recognize this staple that’s captivated America’s hearts and stomachs for so many years. Minute® Rice is quick and easy to prepare and is a great pantry staple. Minute® Rice is a go-to ingredient your whole family will love and is especially great to use during the busy back-to-school season. Minute Rice helps (or does) the cooking so the rice consistently turns out right.