Hands down one of the highlights from our recent trip to Pittsburgh was Kennywood. It was all Ethan talked about before going and it’s all he keeps talking about. In fact, he asked when we are going back. Sorry, kiddo. You’ll have to wait until next summer for that!
But we do love visiting Kennywood! My husband grew up hitting the park as a kid and it’s been fun taking our own kids and watching them fall in love with the park as well.
Why We Love Kennywood
1. Beat the crowds. If you have little ones who can’t make it an entire day at the park, your best bet is to wait until after 4 pm. Why? The lines are a way shorter and it’s not very crowded, especially at the water rides. When it’s not mid-day and sorching hot, people aren’t wanting to cool off at the water rides. In fact, we rode the Pittsburg* Plunge three times in a row with no wait. And that makes for a very happy six year old.
2. They make boo boos all better. While watching his big brother on the Pittsburg* Plunge, Ben hit his head and got a bump on his head. While on the search for ice, the nice ladies at the Rita’s stand gave him a generous sample to help cheer him up. That certainly put a smile on his face.
3. They have an awesome kid section. I love that all of the little kid rides are in one location and sectioned off by themselves. This means Ben can run from ride to ride and I don’t have to worry about him getting trampled or lost! His favorite? The “money cycles.”
4. They have classic roller coasters. Sure the steel roller coasters and super faster and tall and fun but there’s something about an old wooden roller coaster. In fact, these are Ethan’s favorites! I don’t even know if I can count how many times he has ridden the Jack Rabbit. And this year, he was tall enough for the Racers. (PS. Our car won!)
5. They have great fireworks. If you visit the week of Fourth of July, you are treated to a great firework and laser show!
Kennywood is one of the oldest and most beloved amusement parks in America. Founded in 1898, it has thrilled and delighted both young and young-at-heart visitors for more than 110 years. From the early days of the carousel, through the development of the first roller coasters, to the technological advancements in today’s steel looping coasters, Kennywood has always been the park that puts a smile on everyone’s face. Designated a National Historic Landmark since 1987, you’ll find “Lost Kennywood,” a replica of turn-of-the-century architecture that houses some of the park’s most popular rides, as well as attractions that go from mild to wild throughout the park. Refuel at more than a dozen dining areas offering tasty treats that can’t be found at any other amusement park anywhere. Kennywood is a unique experience and remains one of “America’s Finest Traditional Amusement Parks.” In fact, it’s what memories are made of!
Save on Kennywood Tickets!
If you plan on visiting Kennywood this summer, make sure you take advantage of this special deal for my readers! Use code BLOGGER2014 to receive $7 off of the $40.99 General Admissions price (expires 9/14/14). Use the promo code by heading over to the Kennywood website and input the code in the top right corner!